Blue screen of death (BSOD) is a condition where your Windows is forced to stop; this error occurs in nearly all Windows versions (Windows XP, Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10). It is also known as a STOP error. Generally, a BSOD error appears with an error code, which helps you identify the stream of the problem.
The error mostly occurs due to a hardware or driver failure or problem. If your machine loads Windows right after showing you the BSOD screen and you’re unable to read the STOP code in that time, look at the tip at the bottom of the screen.
It is important that you get the correct BSOD or STOP code as it is the key to resolve the issue. The error codes may vary from the range of 0x00000001 to 0xC0000221 or may appear with different codes like 0xDEADDEAD. Though it is good to know the STOP code; however, if you don’t know the code, you can still fix it by applying below steps:
- Repair Windows Installation: The first method to tackle this problem is to insert Windows installation disc to your computer and Run Windows Repairing Tool. In case there are missing Windows files or some other system files errors that causes BSOD, this shall fix them for you.
- Check for the changes: If you’ve made any changes in the tower by installing any new driver or component, there are possibilities that the device isn’t properly connected. In the rarest situation, the new driver installation may interfere in the working of your computer, causing BSOD. You can check if removal of the driver fixes the blue screen of death error in Windows.Check for Hardware Changes
- Beat the heat: Computers emit heat and overheating leads to hardware malfunctioning. Temperature plays an important role in the well-being of your computer. To check if your machine is doing good, check the temperature under BIOS menu or control panel.
Beat the Heat
- Test the RAM: RAM is the backbone of your any computer, it leaves your computer unstable if fails. A sudden RAM failure puts your machine in shock that may end up in BSOD error. To check if the RAM is working well enough, you can run ‘memtest86’ tool, available online for free. Burn the tool on a disc and restart your system, the tool works automatically and shows you the live report. However, most computers have Memory Test tool on their own; you can use it for testing your computer’s RAM.
- Review your storage: Computers have been evolving since beginning, especially, in terms of their storage capacity. With Tera-bytes of storage, you feel free to load tons of data, which includes merely used applications and other information. It is important you keep your computer free of any unnecessary entity to avoid situations like BSOD. Make sure your computer is left with enough space it requires to launch and boot the Windows.
- Scan for viruses: If you’re sure with the available space available and new device installation, it’s time to scan your computer for viruses. There are various ways you’ve got some uninvited guests in your machine, which come through an insecure connection. It is important you’ve got the best anti-virus guarding your computer all the time. To strengthen the security, keep your program updated with the latest virus database available online. You can start with a deep scan that searches for infections in all the drives at the same time.
Scan for Viruses
- Windows update: Keeping your Windows updated is a great way to avoid a lot of problems. Microsoft releases Windows updates at a regular interval or at the time to introduce something new. There’re chances you’re running a very old version of Windows, which isn’t supporting the new features and applications. This clash between your operating system and other software may lead to a system failure, resulting Blue Screen of Death error.
- Factory Reset: Resetting your computer to the manufacturer settings should be your last weapon to eliminate the BSOD error. Although, it is not recommended if you’ve got some important piece of information on your computer. It is good you keep a backup of your data before considering this step. Make sure you’ve tried all the other steps before applying the factory resetting as it results in losing every date on your computer. If you’re not sure shooting this step, you may consult your technical support adviser.
Overall, Blue Screen of Death error is a tough situation but can be fixed with above mentioned methods. Maintaining basic hygiene and keeping Windows and anti-virus tools updated, help you in a long run. If there’s a need of installing a new hardware, follow the instruction in the manual or get it done by a professional.