We all depend on Google, we started our day on Computer from opening Google.com. Did you know “What will happen If Google goes down for 30 minutes”?
In August 2013, Google and all of its services came down briefly for 2-3 mins. And the whole internet traffic went down by a massive 40%. A similar incident also occurred in May 2009.
Note that it was just for 2 minutes. Imagine 30 minutes. It’s highly unlikely but here is what I consider will happen:
- First few minutes people will check their internet connection. Some will even call their ISP. Some may even check for hardware failures on their side – which is still more likely than 30 min outage.
- People will then realize that it’s true. There will be a period of disbelief. People will badly try to reload Google’s homepage.
- People all around the world will start taking screenshots of the Google Server Error Page. [Likely 500]
- Your Facebook & Twitter Newsfeed will be full of “OMG Can’t believe”, “I witnessed something amazing” along with several images from previous point.
- People will search for alternative search engine ~ but how? Most of them don’t even know that there are alternative search engines.
- Bing, DuckDuckGo and Yahoo will get huge traffic surge.
- DuckDuckGo will start trending on Twitter. People will realize it’s good. (That’s a search engine that doesn’t track you BTW)
- Many other internet apps – that uses Google Services in backend will also come down. Without GMAIL for 30 minutes the productivity across the whole world will drop by a huge margin.
- I can’t even imagine the Revenue Loss – not just for Google but for all the companies throughout the world that uses Google.
- Android users will be stuck on the roads and iPhone users will be lost in the lanes if Google Maps stopped working for 30mins.
- Among all this fiasco Internet life in China will remain unaffected. Why, because Google has been banned in China.
- People at other competitive companies will enjoy and sing songs (Meant to be a joke)
- SEO experts will start targeting other search engines.
After the outage is fixed and services are restored back:
- Google will issue their statement to press – explaining the cause (maybe)
- Tech Savvy people around the world will try to dig deep in search for the cause of outage.
- Many will guess that a group of Hackers are responsible. People will then approach many Hackers regarding their opinion.
- Media will go crazy. They will call experts and try to analyze situation themselves.
- Many bloggers will write post about “How we are too dependent on Google? – A reality check”. Even Media will do it.
- Quora would be full of questions – “Why did it happen?”, “What do you think about the outage?”, “Can it happen again?”, “Was my data leaked?”, “Is it true that Google was hacked?” and so on….
- Most of users will switch from Google services to alternatives.
- BuzzFeed and ScoopWhoop will have articles like “Google went down for 30 minutes. You won’t believe what happened next.” and “10 things to do when Google goes down the next time”. 😀
- People will find this answer and realize that many of it is actually happening (Again, meant to be a joke)
Eventually if it keeps happening people will switch to alternatives. Google’s income will decline and they will lose the domination. People will move on and build better products. Google engineers will have to hunt for jobs again. A lot of them will start their own companies.